The most important monuments of the town are:
The Fortress “Rocca Roveresca”
Main point of the sea defences, the fortress is the result of several defensive structures built over the centuries. The building as we see it today was commissioned by Giovanni Della Rovere and built by two great architects, Luciano Laurana and Baccio Pontelli.
Info : Piazza del Duca – Tel. +39 071 63258.
Opening Time :
Everyday 8:30 – 19:30
Ticket : euro 2,00
The Duke’s residence “Palazzo del Duca”
Designed for the Duke Guidobaldo II in XVI century by Girolamo and Bartolomeo Genga, the building is adorned by splendid ceilings painted by Taddeo Zuccari
Info: Piazza del Duca – Tel. 071 6629350
The building was commissioned by Giovanni Giacomo Baviera. Inside, the beautiful stuccos dating back to 1590 were realised by Federico Brandani.
Info: Piazza del Duca – Tel. 071 6629350.
The square is dominated by the XVI century Town Hall “Palazzo del Governo” and adorned by the Neptune Fountain.
A harmonious Neoclassic brick structure with a circular perspective, the “Foro Annonario” was built in 1834, by the architect Pietro Ghinelli.
Historical site of the town’s market, in summer it becomes the impressive scenery for concerts and shows.
The Arcade “Portici Ercolani”
The arcade runs along the right bank of the river Misa, a striking sequence of one hundred and twenty six arches in Istrian stone. They were built to house the many merchants who arrived in town in July for the famous Magdalen Trade Fair, named after St. Mary Magdalene.
“Church della Croce”
The church front is in late Renaissance style in contrast with its astonishing Baroque interior. The famous “Burial of Christ” by Federico Barocci is housed here.
Info: Via Gherardi – Tel. 071 64977
Everyday 9:00 – 12.00 / 16.00 – 18.30
Church and Convent “Santa Maria delle Grazie”
Just outside town, emerges the convent designed by Baccio Pontelli, as commissioned by Giovanni Della Rovere. The church was finished later, in 1684. Of particular significance inside the church, a splendid work by Perugino, “Madonna e Santi” ( The Virgin and Saints)from around 1490.
Eevery day, including holidays: 8:30 – 12:00
Frida 8.30 am – 12.00 am and 16.00 am – 18.00 am
Free entrance. For groups, is needed the booking.